Since 1999, Shah Kawasaki Architects (SKA) has achieved healthy and steady growth as a result of the talent, commitment, intelligence, integrity, and solid professional skills of its staff. Today, SKA is one of the East Bay’s leading design firms, with an excellent reputation for projects that are integral to our communities —award winning buildings, including visitor and community centers, arts/design, museums, public safety, higher education, and other civic buildings. We are a public sector firm, serving the needs of humanity and neighborhoods, and improving society, one building at a time.
Why work at SKA?
SKA’s work serves the greater good, and brings people together, in safe, healthy, and inspiring environments. Our recent accomplishments include winning a high-profile design competition for a floating fire station in San Francisco, receiving an AIA People’s Choice Award for a recreation center in Oakland, and achieving one of the Nation’s first LEED Gold v4 Certifications. Looking to the future: As a public sector firm, we will stay busy, even during an economic downturn. We are located in a bright office, near both public transit and parking, in wonderful Oldtown Oakland, full of restaurants, the farmer’s market, and city activities. Oakland is our home, and for many East Bay public entities, we are the architecture firm of choice. Although we are a relatively small office, we differentiate ourselves in the size, diversity and complexity of the projects we undertake. Currently we are designing a $200,000 locker room for the UC Berkeley Women’s Track team, and a $40 million new administration facility for Oakland Unified School District.
Our company culture: We are collaborative, supportive, and collegial. We enjoy team lunches, happy hours, Oakland A’s games, local city activities, and site visits to watch our projects come to life. Our office is a community within a community!
Our comprehensive benefits include medical insurance, dental reimbursement, 401(K), annual bonuses, profit sharing, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays and participation in pre-tax commute voucher program. We actively participate in professional development through mentorship, seminars, approved tuition and professional exam reimbursement.
We are actively seeking to fill the following position:
Senior Design Architect
We seek a Senior Design Architect to work directly with the Principals, to establish the project’s design concepts, and follow through with their development.
What is great about this position?
You will be a lead designer, with the ability to realize your visions, in an office known for quality design and execution. In this twelve person firm, you will be working directly with the Principals and talented colleagues, in a supportive environment, focused on design, not office politics. As part of the firm’s leadership, you will be a candidate for a future Principal position.
Scope and Responsibilities:
As a Senior Design Architect, you will create and develop overall design concepts, determine program and project feasibility, see the project from beginning to end, and represent the firm before clients and the public.
Additional duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Develop conceptual designs and presentations.
- Work directly with clients, managing the project from beginning to end.
- Develop client relationships resulting in future firm commissions.
- Provide value to marketing pursuits.
- Provide guidance and leadership to team members.
- Contribute to office activities, initiatives and programs.
- Ability to manage design process and incorporation of building codes.
- Produce graphic presentations, 3D renderings, and presentation drawings, as projects require.
- Resolve design issues with creative and practical solutions.
The company realizes that every interested candidate might not have all of the desired experience, and some training will be provided, but here is what they are looking for in terms of experience and skills… the more you have, the better!
- Ten to twenty years of architectural practice experience.
- Creative conceptual designer.
- Passionate detailed designer.
- Ability to build and enjoy client relationships.
- Aptitude for marketing strategies and implementation.
- Ability to collaborate and lead design teams.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Broad knowledge of professional architectural and building practices.
- Proficient in sketch-up and Adobe suite.
- Proficiency in Revit is a plus.
- Supportive demeanor and interest in building a great working environment.
- Track record of well-designed built projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture.
- Master’s degree is preferred.
- Licensed Architect.
For immediate consideration, please submit your cover letter, resume, and portfolio in PDF format by e-mail to email@example.com, and reference Senior Design Architect in the e-mail subject line.